IMPLEMENTATION OF THE GAS TRANSMISSION SYSTEM REMOTE TECHNOLOGICAL PROCESS CONTROL INFORMATION SYSTEM (SCADA IS)Client:
AB „Amber Grid“Period:
2018/10 – 2020/12Solutions:
Project goal is to increase the security and reliability of the natural gas transmission system by implementing a new, modern, technologically advanced system with high opportunities for further development. The SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System) controls a large and complex network of main gas pipelines and technological objects.
The system scans the technological network of the gas transmission system and collects data from all technological objects – gas distribution stations, gas metering stations, gas compressor stations, gas pressure reduction points, gas pressure monitoring points, gas metering devices, gas chromatographs, and controls telemetric line valves (closing devices) installed in main gas pipelines and their branches. The system reads more than 11,000 different data parameters (data points) in near real time using main or reserve communication lines.
The SCADA is based on Yokogawa Electric Corporation’s FAST/TOOLS® product for efficient process control. Oracle DB (Historian) is used to collect historical data. In addition, SAP Business Objects BI Suite – a powerful business analytics and reporting tool was installed allowing to perform drill-down analysis of accumulated data and create customized reports. A specialized Failure Analysis Tool has been developed for the investigation of gas transmission system incidents, which allows for a detailed reconstruction of the sequence of events in time and thus to identify possible causes.
The system is integrated with 4 internal customer systems: GIS, TVIS (asset management), SIMONE (gas flow modeling and leak detection), DAPDS (gas accounting).
SCADA system controls critical gas infrastructure, therefore special attention is paid to reliability and security requirements:
- 99.999% system availability rate, which means that the system may not work, be inaccessible to users for only 5 minutes per year;
- Quadruple system reliability (redundancy), which is realized by implementing redundant quad-HAC (High Availability Computing) configuration, i. the system is installed on 4 servers in 2 geographically separated data centers;
- The highest database reliability guaranteed by the Oracle DB Extended RAC cluster;
- Secure and reliable data transmission to external users using WS-Security compliant web services;
- IT security is ensured by using advanced IBM Qradar Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution, which allows to proactively fight with internal and external threats by collecting and analyzing log entries generated in real time by the company’s internal (technological) network equipment and system application software.
The project is being executed taking advantage of the Operational Programme for EU Structural Funds Investments for 2014-2020.